I have been caring for the society and other people as long as I can remember. I started as regular blood donor, organizing charity events, mentoring young entrepreneurs, participating world cleanup days and donating to local charities.
I have co-founded multiple community organizations:
- Estonian Founders Society - 150+ Estonian startup founders from the Land of Unicorns
- Garage48 Foundation - turn your idea into prototype in 48h, over 140 events in 25 countries
- Estonian Education Foundation - 1M philanthropy fund to boost innovation in education
- kood / Jõhvi - free and modern platform based coding school for 200 people in Estonia
- Elav Tänav - extend living space onto our streets and turn them livable, starting from Tallinn
Everybody can do goodDepending of your age, wealth or location, here are few ideas to start with:
- Donate blood regularly
- Ask what help your local (or global) charities need and volunteer part time
- Buy less things and donate 5-20% of your income each month to effective charities
- Choose a career to work for global most effective charities or organizations with big impact
- If you are startup founder - join Founders Pledge, learn and donate your wealth during lifetime
- Become ambassador of effective altruism or other effective charities
- Donate your kidney to save a life :)
Effective AltruismCurrently I am learning about Effective Altruism in order to create maximum impact with my time and monetary donations. Majority of people are donating based on their emotions. Donations are generally very good, but the awareness about effective donating is still small.
Effective altruists believe that every life is equally important (local or abroad). As our resources are always limited (both time and money) then we should maximize our potential impact.
Try to support charities that solve important problems efficiently:
- Great in scale (it affects many people’s lives, by a great amount)
- Highly neglected (few other people are working on addressing the problem), and
- Highly solvable (additional resources will do a great deal to address it)
- Transparent about impact (overhead costs vs results delivered).
Resources - how to increase your impactOrganizations
- EffectiveAltruism.org - global organization: mindset, research, podcast, newsletter, resources.
- 80000hours.org - average career is 80,000 hours: find a fulfilling career to do good. For young and older people, learn about opportunities, listen podcast and check job-board.
- GiveWell.org - most efficient global charities based on impact per dollar
- Founders Pledge - startup founders pledge percentage of their future income to fund solutions to the world’s most pressing problems via most effective charities
- Giving Pledge - world's wealthiest individuals commit majority of their wealth for giving back
- "Doing good better" by William McCaskil
- "The Life You Can Save" by Peter Singer [Download Free Audio Book, RSS or eBook]
- "80,000 hours - Find a fulfilling career that does good" by Benjamin Todd